Saturday, August 13, 2011

Last night's dream.....more of a nightmare

"My Lord knows the way through the wilderness,
 All I have to do is follow,
My Lord knows the way through the wilderness,
All  I have to do is follow.
Strength for today is mine alway,
And all I need for tomorrow,
My Lord knows the way through the wilderness,
All I have to do is follow."

That song came to me this morning as I thought of last night's dream. I woke up this morning from a deep sleep and wasn't really ready to get up. In my dream, I was with Dawn, Paula, and Beth, (dear friends from college) and a couple of other girls I didn't know. We were going back to college and there were to be six of us in the room. That bothered me tremendously! Dawn brought a sleeping bag to use and I had nothing. No sleeping bag, no sheets. I felt so "out of it". It was our first night before starting classes the next morning and we were in that "let's find out who's in our dorm" frenzy and as people were coming and going, I did up my hair in those icky scratchy rollers! I didn't have enough, so wondered what my hair was going to look like in the morning. I knew I didn't wear rollers now (we were the age we are today) but I knew I'd worn rollers back then, so I was trying to fit back in. Not working! As I left someone else's room to go find our room, a lady told me the rollers wouldn't be allowed at the meeting scheduled in 15 minutes. We got back to our room and I yanked those rollers out and felt so confused. Then I woke up.
As I digested that dream, I realized I no longer fit in the classroom and I was not going to miss the starting of school. I'd been concerned about that. I'd expected to miss the whole "first day of school" and buying supplies (LOVE buying stuff for school, whether for my kids or myself!)  and getting ready to start a new year, as I have for over 40 years. It is not a part of my life now and I am perfectly fine with that. It's like my teaching was "another lifetime". When I think of being married, that, too, is "another lifetime".  Then I thought of the song I printed above, and realized God is even interested in taking care of my loss of teaching. It's not a loss, it's just another part of me. He's showing me "through the wilderness" of this transition from Texas and teaching to New Life in North Carolina. He continues to amaze me and all I have to do is follow. No "yellow brick road" for me, just God's footprints.
I'm enjoying the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment