Monday, April 13, 2009

bocce ball and board games

When I was a lass, I grew up in a home with Sunday rules. After church, we stayed inside, didn't have friends over, wouldn't even think of going to the movies or out shopping (the stores weren't open on Sundays when I was a girl anyway) and pretty much rested and had a quiet day. No game playing either, though I think the rule was "no keeping score" so that pretty much nixed my brother's and my playing anything. Who wants to play and not keep score?? I actually liked our house rules. It kept Sundays different and I was just fine being "different" from my friends, though I translated that to being superior. Not a good thing to admit even now, but that was my take on the matter.
When I became a mother I tried to keep our Sundays different and to some extent, I did. I wouldn't take the kids shopping or to the movies, but I didn't make a big deal about playing games. I didn't really know what was important to me, versus what was important to the family I came from. It was a transition time for me.
Now that I'm a grandmother and cherish any family get-together, we do play lots of games, and on Sundays as well. There are five adults and one child (who's still too young to play anything). The adults got out a couple of board games after Easter dinner and played a game where my son-in-law had a challenge and chose to have glasses and beard drawn on his face for the rest of the game. We laughed and laughed over that one! After the lawn dried out from the storm earlier in the day, we got out my new bocce ball game and gave it a whirl. The baby sat on a towel in the shade and enjoyed our laughter as well as the fresh air.
After the game, my son found his juggling pins in the garage and gave his wife and me a lesson on juggling. She and I tried, but we laughed more than we caught any pins! Anyway, when my son left he told me he'd had a wonderful day and specifically mentioned the bocce game. I realized then it's not the "rules" that make Sundays different. It's the time we spend together as family. It's the memories we're making and that works well with my "construction" project.
I plan to make plenty of memories with my kids and grandkids. They are extremely important to me and I want them to remember what we can/did do and not what we can't/didn't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment