Saturday, April 18, 2009

The discard pile

This morning I was at school working with a variety of fifth graders who were preparing for the upcoming state-mandated science test. To get students to learn from a different method, a couple of teachers prepared science games which would reinforce the needed objectives, but the students wouldn't really feel as if they were "studying". I introduced a game about the forms of energy...solar, heat, light, sound, and so on. As the directions were explained, I told them there would be a discard pile. Apparently many were not familiar with the discard pile, which I know to be part of many other games. I found that surprising, but this whole year has shown me the limited experiences of many of my students! Anyway, they finally (partially) got the hang of the use of the discard pile and proceeded to play the game. In this game, you could retrieve cards that someone else discarded and use for your turn, if you so desired.
On the way home, I was reflecting on the morning's activities and was mulling over the fact that so many of the students had had no clue how to utilize the discard pile. They didn't understand the concept of putting a card in the discard pile; let alone the part about using the cards later on. Even knowing that to win they needed to have no cards in their hands didn't seem to impress on them the need to discard. All of a sudden, I saw the need to start my own discard pile! As I write this, I realize that to NOT discard, means to hold on. Am I holding on to unnecessary "cards"? To let go, means to trust or even to be free. That can be exciting or scary, depending on the mindset.
To discard, implies letting go and/or throwing away. Verb synonyms include cast, shed, slough, scrap and junk. "To shed and slough imply a throwing off of something both useless and encumbering and often suggest a consequent renewal of vitality or luster." Does that seem inviting? Absolutely! I want the "renewal of vitality and luster" in my life! To achieve that, I must discard something or some things.
In my construction project, I want to build something worthy and strong and fun and absolutely useful. To do that, I will need to discard some faulty wiring (faulty thoughts), some unnecessary rooms (which might house bad habits or old hurts), and perhaps some landscaping that's just not growing anymore (or someone who's just not supporting me or my building project with uplifting words or deeds). Huh.
This requires prayer, thoughtful consideration, and a clearer vision of my needs and wants. It may take some time, but I'm determined to discard "something useless and encumbering" so to "renew" the vitality and luster of my life. It continues to uplift and surprise me how God uses the ordinary experiences of our lives to teach us. To work on a Saturday was definitely NOT my choice, but look what He did with my obedience today!

No comments:

Post a Comment