Thursday, April 9, 2009

Change, changes, changing

What do you think of when you hear the word "change"? "Change the lightbulb" is not bad. "Change the baby" isn't great, but I can handle it. To change my shoes generally means to put on something more comfortble and that feels real good. But generally to me, change starts a negative thought process. What if I can't do what the other person wants or needs? What if I just don't know how to do it? What's wrong with the way I'm doing something now? Why do I have to change? I don't want to change.
That's the crux for me. I don't want to change. I may not even like how I'm doing something but it's familarity is comfortable. This week I was asked to consider changing grade levels next year. My first thought was "I've changed so much this year, I'd like to just cruise a bit on a comfortable/familiar route next year." (or something along that thought) Later I thought about the changes I have made this year and realized I do like the energy that comes from changing and the success I feel afterward. I also recognized that others sometimes see gifts in us that could be utilized in a different arena and I should trust that observation.
I've said "yes" to the new grade level. That implies packing up my teacher "stuff" and moving it to a new room. It implies getting to know new teammates. It implies getting more training. It implies learning how to plan for a new grade and all kinds of things I haven't even thought of. It means change. Period.
As I actually think about the changes I've experienced this year, I have enjoyed many good ones. Changing the alarm code gave me security. Changing my phone service to allow caller ID was freeing and absolutely a great thing to do! Changing my work status gave me earning power. Changing into a Nanna was just delicious and I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on that, that's for sure!
So as I wrap this up, I want to embrace change and not fear it. I want to look at it as opportunity for growth and exhileration and not mild panic. I want to be free to change.

Please help me, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment